How to Prepare Matcha Tea
Matcha is an incredibly versatile ingredient- you can make matcha tea, matcha lattes, bake with matcha and also use it in your skincare routine. There are many ways to make matcha from using traditional utensils like a bamboo whisk or with just your standard teaspoon.
We’ll share with you how to make matcha tea. You can also email yourself a free 30-page matcha recipe book we created with our favourite matcha recipes. See the box to the right.
Should I Buy a Bamboo Matcha Whisk?
Matcha tea is traditionally prepared using bamboo whisks (known as chasens) to give matcha its frothy, creamy texture.
The bamboo whisk is specially crafted to suspend the matcha particles in the water and it assists in delivering a much smoother matcha which does not have any sediment in the bottom.
Bamboo whisks are handcrafted and made from a single piece of bamboo. Bamboo matcha whisks are also durable when cared for properly. We offer a bamboo whisk with a long handle in our matcha shop. If you are a matcha lover then a bamboo whisk is well worth the investment. If you are unsure, start of by trying matcha and you can always buy a whisk later.
You might like to buy our Matcha Tea Set including a bamboo whisk as your first purchase!
How to Make Matcha Tea without a Bamboo Whisk
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of matcha into a cup and add a tablespoon of hot (not boiling) water.
- Using your spoon mix thoroughly to remove any lumps of matcha (it’s easy to use the sides of the teacup to assist with this).
- Top up with more hot water for a hot drink or iced water and ice for an iced matcha tea. Enjoy!
How to Make Matcha Green Tea with a Bamboo Whisk
- Preheat your matcha bowl by filling one-third of it with hot water. Dip the prongs of your matcha whisk in this hot water to soften them. Empty the bowl and dry with a clean cloth.
- Sift or place 1 level scoop (or 1/2 teaspoon) of matcha into the bottom of the matcha bowl. Note: You can sift this scoop of matcha into the bowl or you can simply use the end of the whisk to press down gently to break up the powder.
- Add approximately 70 mls of hot water (80 degrees Celcius).
- Hold the rim of the matcha bowl with one hand and the whisk with the other. Using your wrist whisk vigorously in “W” motion. You should see lots of bubbles on the surface & a thick froth. Enjoy!
How to Make a Matcha Latte
- Place 1-2 teaspoons of matcha into a cup (adjust quantity to your taste).
- Add 2 tablespoons of hot water and use a spoon to remove any clumps and mix thoroughly.
- Add approximately 70 MLS of hot water (80 degrees Celcius).
- Add hot frothy milk and two teaspoons of honey or a sweetener of your choice. You can adjust the sweetness to your taste.
Further Matcha Recipes
Check out our Matcha Recipes page for more matcha recipe inspiration. Our favourites include:
- Home Made Matcha Granola Bars
- Matcha and Pistachio Bliss Balls
- Iced Matcha Tea
- Matcha Pancakes
- Matcha Latte
- Matcha Smoothies
We also have a free Matcha Recipes ebook with over 30 of our favourite matcha creations. Email it to yourself here.
Love cooking? Check out our matcha green tea powder recipesView All Recipes
Buy Matcha Green Tea PowderVisit Shop
or 4 payments of $7.25 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $18.50 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $33.50 with Afterpay