|Matcha Tea Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon Zen Green Tea Matcha
- 4 whole large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting the top of the cake before serving, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Sift the flour with the tea three times. Coat the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan lightly with butter or non-stick spray.
- Place a round of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and spray the parchment lightly. Set the pan aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should be above the level of the water). Whisking constantly, heat until the eggs and sugar feel warm to the touch (approximately room temperature). Using an electric mixer, beat until light in colour and texture, approximately tripled in volume. Then, gently but thoroughly, fold the dry ingredients into the egg foam without deflating, making sure that there is no undissolved flour lurking at the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Immediately scoop the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the cake tests done when a skewer is inserted into the centre. Cool on a rack. Dust with sifted powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
“I love getting home after a hard day at work and making myself a delicious reward! This is a recipe I will keep for life!” – Sarah David