This matcha green tea powder chai recipe is delicious, fragrant and warming- perfect as the weather cools down.
Serves 2 cups
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons of Zen Green Tea matcha powder
- 2 regular tea bags-black tea, orange pekoe etc
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon EACH of ground ginger and cardamom
- 1 whole clove
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup date or coconut sugar or honey to taste
- 2 ½ cups milk
1. Add water, spices and tea bags to a saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Boil for 5 minutes. This mixture will darken as it boils. Don’t worry if a tea bag breaks, you’ll be straining this later anyway.
3. Add the sugar or honey. As you make this recipe each time use a little less sweetener and you will get used to the less-sweet taste. Next, add the milk and bring back just to a boil. Be careful it doesn’t boil over. Tip: To keep the chai from boiling over, run a stick of butter around the rim of the pan when it’s hot.
4. In a separate bowl dissolve the matcha powder with a little water and add this to the milk and stir
5. Strain the chai tea into your cup, add a stick of cinnamon to garnish and enjoy!