Matcha Helps Skin
Matcha green tea powder helps your skin in a remarkable number of ways including:
- Matcha helps fight aging
- Matcha protects against skin cancer
- Matcha helps fight acne
- Matcha helps clear blemishes
Everyday our bodies are subject to stresses from our environment from foods we eat, sun exposure and just natural wear and tear. These stresses produce free radicals which are known to damage healthy cells by depleting them of oxygen and breaking down the levels of collagen – which is essential in keeping skin supple and young-looking.
Matcha and Anti-Aging
Matcha green tea is the whole tea leaf stone ground into a powder which dissolves in water. As a result you consume the whole tea leaf so matcha has 137 times the antioxidants of a standard green tea bag. Matcha is also a powerhouse of Catechins, Vitamin A, C, K and B-Complex. This means that every time you drink a cup of matcha you are flooding your body with antioxidants that are combating free radicals and removing these from your system, preventing them from damaging your skin cells helping to prevent cell degeneration and premature ageing.
Matcha and Skin Cancer Prevention
Did you know 1 in 3 Australians will get some form of skin cancer in their lives? Matcha is a great prevention measure when consumed often and applied as a face mask too. Matcha contains the highest level of EGCG from any substance.
EGCG has some pretty powerful benefits following sun/UV exposure to your skin:
- EGCG repairs damaged DNA after UV exposure (preventing damaged cells from becoming cancerous)
- EGCG stimulates your immune system’s T cells to kill cells damaged beyond repair
- EGCG blocks nasty tumor-promoters
- EGCG stimulates the powerful tumor-destroyer and immune system superhero
Matcha Helps Acne
Matcha helps treat acne when applied to the skin and also consumed.
Acne is primarily caused by:
- Inflammation: Oxidative stress on our skin triggers acne outbreaks
- High sebum production: Sebum is the fatty acids and oils that are naturally produced to moisturize your skin. When we produce too much, it gets trapped in the pores and can turn into acne.
- Acne bacteria (P.acnes bacteria): This bacteria lives naturally on our skin but when the levels of this bacteria grow too high it causes acne.
Matcha Reduces Inflammation: The EGCG antioxidant has strong anti-carcinogenic, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties. The EGCG and catechins in matcha absorb into the skin to fight the sebum and bacteria that cause acne.
Matcha Reduces Sebum Production: One scientific study showed that after eight weeks of drinking matcha, the production of sebum (a fatty acid that causes acne) reduced by 70 percent! The EGCG actually binds to the receptors of the hormone that regulates sebum production on the skin thus blocking it to reduce the amount of sebum produced.
Matcha Reduces Acne Bacteria: Acne is also caused by P.acnes bacteria on the skin. When matcha is used as a face mask or cream it has powerful anti-bacterial affects where one study showed matcha reduced inflammation and acne by 89 percent over eight weeks.
Matcha Face Mask Recipe
Matcha is an excellent ingredient for the skin as well. Matcha is anti bacterial and contains incredibly high levels of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is helpful in reducing inflammation and to even skin tone. The antioxidants are also known for reducing acne and increasing skin elasticity.
Either way, this mask is so simple to make and leaves skin feeling like silk.
This two-ingredient matcha face mask is very simple to make.
- 1 Tsp Zen Green Tea matcha
- 1 Tablespoon Greek Yogurt (or alternatively a plain face moisturizer or coconut oil)
- Mix together thoroughly to form a bright green paste.
- Apply to face and neck and leave for 10 minutes.
- Wash off to reveal brighter, tighter and glowing skin!
Note: There are so many different types of matcha face masks you can make- many customers love just honey and matcha or matcha mixed with coconut or argan oil. If your skin is dry use more of an oil based mask, if it’s got acne use honey, or if you have oily and dry skin a greek yogurt mask would work best!
or 4 payments of $16.00 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $6.13 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $30.00 with Afterpay