These gluten free matcha chocolate muffins are ‘any time of day’ versatile. Enjoy them as a snack on-the-go, as a treat to savour with a matcha latte or as an afternoon hunger buster. They combine the incredible matcha green tea powder with avocados – both antioxidant-rich superfoods, to create a guilt-free moist muffin.
You can easily make this recipe vegan by replacing the milk and eggs with vegan alternatives.
Thank you to the wonderful Laura from Feast Wisely for sharing this delicious recipe!
Makes 12 medium muffins
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tbsp carob powder (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Zen Green Matcha Tea Powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp stevia (or other sweetener)
- 2 ripe avocados (around 1 cup mashed)
- 1 tbsp hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt (or nut milk if vegan)
- 2 large eggs (or flax or chia egg substitute if vegan)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175C and grease a 12 muffin baking tray with coconut oil.
- In a bowl, add all of the dry ingredients, using a sieve if you can to avoid any lumps.
- In another larger bowl, add all of the wet ingredients – except the yoghurt (or nut milk).
- Thoroughly whisk the wet ingredients to achieve a smooth even consistency.
- Gradually add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, using a spatula to carefully fold the mixtures together until it’s even. At the same time, gradually add the yoghurt (or milk).
- Using two spoons, add the mixture muffin by muffin into the baking tray, allowing room for them to rise.
- Bake the muffins on the middle shelf of the oven for between 22 and 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
Note: It is important you buy the matcha green tea powder from a high quality source so you receive the full health benefits and also so the flavour is not bitter. Low quality matcha can be very bitter. You can buy Zen Green Tea premium, Japanese matcha green tea powder for the best price in Australia here.
Buy Matcha Green Tea PowderVisit Shop
or 4 payments of $6.13 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $16.00 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $30.00 with Afterpay